Skip to main content

Gnome 3 shell screen "lock" (workaround)

Solution:  I tried to use the Discrete video adapter (non-Optimus) and load the akmod-nvidia driver.  This, however, does not fix the problem :-(  Install the Compiz goodness and run that as your Display Manager.  I actually don't mind Gnome3 now.... bordering on almost liking it.  I certainly hope they get their stuff together soon.

# Install Compiz

yum -y install compiz.x86_64 compiz-bcop.noarch compiz-devel.x86_64 compiz-gconf.x86_64 compiz-gnome.x86_64 compiz-gtk.x86_64 compiz-manager.noarch compiz-plugins-main.x86_64 compiz-plugins-main-devel.x86_64 compiz-plugins-main-gconf.x86_64 compizconfig-backend-gconf.x86_64 compizconfig-python.x86_64 libcompizconfig.x86_64 libcompizconfig-devel.x86_64



UPDATE:  The problems continues using the Nvidia driver and discrete display adapter.  Unfortunately I can not handle this type of issue on my primary workstation and therefore I am migrating to RHEL 6.2 workstation.

Issue:  My system would somewhat frequently have a "hung display".  So - what do I mean by that?  The display would freeze at a certain point.  However, I could still move the mouse around.  Yet, I could not click on anything.  The corner activation would fail also.  The only resolution at that point would be to hit the definitive CTRL-ALT-Backspace.. and reboot.  Interestingly enough, this would only occur when I was using VMware Workstation 8.0.1

For giggles, I installed the akmod-nvidia package (and dependencies) and I then went into the BIOS and configured the machine to only use the Discrete (Nvidia) display adapter.  My machine is basically always plugged in, so this does not concern me much.  I am very much looking forward to a Linux-capable Optimus setup to be released.  Reverting back will not be simple.  It would be nice to have an option of going back and forth.  The Intel display adapter was fine for my needs, aside from it apparently locking up my display.

NOTE:  The dual-display configuration with Nvidia pretty much sucks in Gnome 3.  It resorts back to the failsafe config on my machine.  This might be my first "bugfix" submission.  Wish us luck!

Lenovo T520, Fedora 16 x86_64, Gnome 3, dual-display, nvidia, optimus

Comments

  1. Yeah, I have an integrated intel GPU as well, and it freezes with VMWare player. Seems to happen when the lockscreen tries to turn on on the host machine if I have VMWare active. Not fun, but same exact symptoms.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RHN Satellite Server (spacewalk) repomd.xml not found

"repomd.xml not found" If you add a channel, or if your RHN cache gets corrupted, and one of your guests complains that it cannot find repomd.xml for jb-ews-2-x86_64-server-5-rpm (for example) - you need to rebuild your repodata cache. Normally this is an automated job - which is exemplified by the fact that you have obviously built out your entire Satellite environment and never had to do any of the steps you are about to do. So - some prep work: Open 3 terminals to your Satellite Server and run: # Term 1 cd /var/cache/rhn watch "ls -l | wc -l" # Term 2 pwd cd /var/log/rhn tail -f rhn_taskomatic_daemon.log # Term 3 satellite-sync --channel=jb-ews-2-x86_64-server-5-rpm Once the satellite-sync has completed, you >should< see the count increment by one.  If you are unlucky (like me) you will not. You then need to login to the Satellite WebUI as the satellite admin user. Click on the Admin tab (at the top) Task Schedules (on the left) fin

MOTD with colors! (also applies to shell profiles)

I'm not sure why I had never looked into this before, but this evening I became obsessed with discovering how to present different colored text in the /etc/motd. A person had suggested creating a shell script (rather than using special editing modes in vi, or something) and I agree that is the simplest way of getting this accomplished quickly. This most noteworthy portion of this script is the following: RESET="\033[0m" that puts the users shell back to the original color. I typically like a green text on black background. Also - a great reference for the different colors and font-type (underscore, etc...) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Color_Bash_Prompt I found this example on the web and I wish I could recall where so that I could provide credit to that person. #!/bin/bash #define the filename to use as output motd="/etc/motd" # Collect useful information about your system # $USER is automatically defined HOSTNAME=`uname -n` KERNEL=`un

Install RHEL 7 on old HP DL380 g5

Someone at work had been running RHEL on an HP DL380 G5 and blew it up.  After several attempts at doing an installation that made me conclude the hardware was actually bad... I kept digging for the answer. Attempt install and Anaconda could not find any disks - try a Drivers Disk (dd.img) both cciss and hpsa.   -- once we did that, when the system would reboot it would say it could not find a disk. hmmm. Boot from your installation media and interrupt the startup at grub. Add hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 hpsa.hpsa_simple_mode=1 to the line starting with linuxefi press CTRL-X to boot. Once the system restarts after the install, you need to once again interrupt the startup and add the line from above. After the system starts, edit /etc/default/grub and add those 2 parameters to the end of the line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX (which likely has quiet at the end of the line currently). then run # cp /boot/grub2/grub.cfg /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.orig # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2